February 23, 2017, 01:03:07 AM

Author Topic: Lost In The Wild  (Read 940 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Lost In The Wild
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
In case your thinking that survival is becoming less of a necessity these days you are totally mistaken.
It's difficult to ascertain how many people get lost every year. In most places, the local sheriff's office coordinates rescue efforts. The National Sheriffs' Association does not keep track, but several of those who search for lost hikers say the number is increasing.

For example, the Oregon-based Mountain Rescue Association, which has member teams in about 20 states, has seen a rise in the number of hikers in need of rescue, says MRA president Fran Sharp. The group's 90 search-and-rescue teams complete about 3,000 missions each year.

It is estamated that each year over 2,000 people get lost on hikes in the wilderness. It's critical to survival for search and rescue teams to find hikers within a few hours.

More and more people are going into the wildnerness on vacations each year totally or at least partially unprepared. We still need to get our message out more then ever. This is what we do.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Tigerian

• YoungSkinnyGuy
  • Scout
Re: Lost In The Wild
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
OFG and I went to a Bushcraft class a couple weeks back that was about finding those who get lost and what to do to prevent bad situations if it happens. The biggest point was to always let some one know where you are going and when you'll be back. Without doing that, if something does happen you could be lost for days and no one would know. I'm sure there are plenty other points that I can't think of that were just as important. OFG wrote everything down.
Profile for Tigerian

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:44:58 PM »
Some of the more remote areas like Alaska have people lost each year who are never found. It would be interesting to hear what the ones who got lost managed to do that. They must have wandered off the trial somehow. I dont know if theres any data on how people actually got lost.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:13 PM »
A couple get lost every year in the Grand Canyon. There is still a private plane that went down in the area about a month before I hiked it the first time that has never been found.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh