December 17, 2017, 07:08:51 PM

Author Topic: What I love about camping and bushcraft: How I won a Mors Pot and a Mora knife.  (Read 1257 times)

Offline PineMartyn

• Tenderfoot
    • Gone Canoeing: PineMartyn's channel
Some weeks ago a new YouTuber held a subscriber appreciation giveaway contest as a thank you to her first 100 subscribers.  To enter one had to create a video outdoors in some natural setting and describe a favourite moment or experience in the outdoors.  The winner would get two prizes:

- a brand new Mora HQ Robust carbon blade knife.
 - a brand new 1.8 Liter Mors bush pot.

I'm delighted to say I won.  For any who are interested, here was my video entry in which I talk about my favourite place to camp and what I enjoy most when being outdoors and backcountry camping.  I'm hoping that what I describe in the video speaks to others here.

Hope this helps,
- Martin
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Great work, Pine.  Congratulations!
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
Awesome, great job!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
Congrats pinemarten! How about a picture of tje prizes. Or better yet a video of you using them.   :hugegrin:
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline PineMartyn

• Tenderfoot
Congrats pinemarten! How about a picture of tje prizes. Or better yet a video of you using them.   :hugegrin:

Thanks Docwatmo, oldfatguy, and Razor sharp.  And I do intend to post pics of the prizes when they arrive.  You can certainly expect to see me putting them to use in future posts and videos. We have a canoe-camping trip coming up shortly and I will surely be making use of this new gear on that trip.

Cheers,
- Martin
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office."

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
I think it goes even deeper then that Pinemartin. The desire or even the need to go out and spend some time in the wilderness is locked in our DNA. Some more then others. All of us here in our forum feel the same about being part of nature. Our fore fathers were successful in surviving or we wouldnt be here.

You and your wife not only feel at home out there but you demonstrate it with every thing you post on these pages. Thank you for you excellent information that contribute to the information stored in these pages.   :arigato:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline PineMartyn

• Tenderfoot
I think it goes even deeper then that Pinemartin. The desire or even the need to go out and spend some time in the wilderness is locked in our DNA. Some more then others. All of us here in our forum feel the same about being part of nature. Our fore fathers were successful in surviving or we wouldnt be here.

You and your wife not only feel at home out there but you demonstrate it with every thing you post on these pages. Thank you for you excellent information that contribute to the information stored in these pages.   :arigato:

My cup runneth over from that generous praise Swede.  Thanks so much.  I'm happy to share and contribute what I can here since I have learned plenty from this forum since discovering it just a few months ago.

Regarding DNA and evolutionary origins of our love of nature, I agree entirely.  What I described in that video - the feelings of satisfaction, accomplishment, being absorbed by a task and present in the moment - these are all feelings that we value and enjoy because problem-solving, ingenuity and mindfulness in activity are all behavioural and cognitive features relevant to day-to-day survival in natural settings.  It`s no accident that certain sorts of pursuits and activities are intrinsically gratifying.  An individual  that did not find these enjoyable simply wouldn't be as motivated to engage in them, which would make it less disposed to improving it's material circumstance compared to conspecifics who did find them  gratifying - and that would be directly relevant to individual and inclusive fitness.

Cheers,
- Martin