February 23, 2017, 05:40:26 AM

Author Topic: Being humble, what mistakes have you made others can learn from  (Read 930 times)

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
Being humble, what mistakes have you made others can learn from
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:56:11 PM »
Last weekend I camped with a bunch of survivalists. I've personably been an outdoorsman for 30 plus years. ive been hammock camping for almost 3 years. ive been threw some serious storms with this set up and stayed dry.  last weekend was a different story. I was using a tarp and it didn't have grommets in the center so I set it up just like I have many times before. the picture is a huge exaggeration of what happened but still makes the point.  anyways while I was sleeping the taught line hitch I had tied my fly with slipped a little, not much, just enough to sag. anyways it was in th mid to low 40s. and a storm moved in. the slight sag on the tarp was fine but sometime during the night my pad slipped out sideways and created a direct funnel of water from the sag in the tarp. in a short time I woke to a huge puddle in my hammock. my sleeping bag was soaked as well as the clothes I wore to bed. it was still plenty dry under my tarp. I decided to change into my dry cloths. I then proceeded to put on my rain gear and readjust the tarp. then I climbed back onto the pad in the hammock and pulled the wet bag up over me(while wearing my rain gear).. synthetic insulation  will retain an r value when wet.  down will not if it is wet. I slept warm the rest of the night. I improvised, I adapted and I overcame. you never know when that one bit of information could help save a life. so  please, post your mistakes, your mishaps. it could save someone else's life someday. this picture is exaggerated but it shows the how my mishap occurred quite easily.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:02:28 AM by razor sharp »
Those that give up liberty for safety deserve neither.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

The more you know.....the less you need

Offline an_fear_tór

• Lookout
    • My Flickr page
Re: Being humble, what mistakes have you made others can learn from
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 05:35:01 PM »
Last week while packing for the airsoft weekend I had a lovely list of everything I needed, what wasn't on the list was my boots cos I normally am wearing them, this time I wasn't.

Ended up using the only pair of shoes I had with me, a pair of casual skechers, for the whole weekend trudging through the forest.

Lesson learned: List everything even the things that are normally on you or in your pockets!
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
Last week while packing for the airsoft weekend I had a lovely list of everything I needed, what wasn't on the list was my boots cos I normally am wearing them, this time I wasn't.

Ended up using the only pair of shoes I had with me, a pair of casual skechers, for the whole weekend trudging through the forest.

Lesson learned: List everything even the things that are normally on you or in your pockets!
:arigato: good lesson, I even list my wallet, watch and pocket stuff. ive forgotten the simplest things.

i dont know which i like better, a sunrise or a sunset, but any day i get to see both is a good day.

Offline razor sharp

• Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
wow...lots of humble survivors on here. or else im mistaken and there all experts like bear grills  :P

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Must be only you, Razor.  lol

I went to the winter campout last year and left my camera at home.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

smallgamehunter

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:10:54 AM »
I have went camping and forgot my axe to split firewood and didn't have a large enough knife to baton