February 23, 2017, 05:39:03 AM

Author Topic: SNEED  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
SNEED
« on: June 22, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
New Disorder of Spruce in Illinois: Sudden Needle Drop of Spruce (SNEED)

The University of Illinois Plant Clinic has received spruce samples from both central and northeastern Illinois that have been diagnosed with Sudden Needle Drop (SNEED) caused by Setomelanomma holmii. While SNEED has been found in several surrounding states, this is a first find in Illinois. We are pursuing independent identification since this is a first find as well as proceeding with qPCR analysis for verification.

SNEED has been found on Norway, white and Colorado blue spruce trees. Symptoms of SNEED are yellowing and eventual browning of older needles. Typically, by the end of summer, all of the needles on affected branches fall off except the newest needles on the tips of the branches. Symptoms being noticed now in the spring are nearly defoliated branches that may still have a few brown or half brown needles attached or no old needles and just new bud growth. Branches affected by needle drop may be scattered throughout the tree or the entire tree may be affected.

Heres a couple of pictures I took locally of infected trees>

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There seems to be no cure for it yet.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
Re: SNEED
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:39:40 PM »
oh my gosh
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:40:45 PM »
~ I've seen a lot of that same looking phenomenon here... with Junipers.  8|   

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
Yep.  A lot of trees were affected around the lakes near Charlotte, and in the mountains.  :(
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius