May 22, 2017, 12:28:40 PM

Author Topic: Tree Identification  (Read 2246 times)

Offline Appalachiansurvivor

• Administrator
  • Lookout
Tree Identification
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
Hey all I am looking for some help identifying this tree. It is the only group of them I have seen anywhere around here.  I have tried to find the name online and and have turned up empty. I have had one neighbor tell me it is a wild cherry and another tell me it is a red birch but when I look them up online it doesn't seem to match either of those. I am clearing my land around here a bit and am trying to find out if they are a tree that would be beneficial for a use around here or if they can just get cleared out with the rest of them.   Any help will be appreciated.

Bark

Branch

Growing pattern

Blossom

“The mind of man can only teach what he has learned from others. It is how you use that knowledge that will decide who you are.”
― Micheal Rivers, Moonlight on the Nantahala

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
Re: Tree Identification
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:36:00 PM »
Blossom sure looks like cherry....
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 03:02:35 PM »
Wild ass Cherry is correct. I threw in the ass for free.Their bark will spot like that till they grow up some. Later their blossoms will leave little white spots on everything. I think they call them Black Cherry.
http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_prse2.pdf
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:07:17 PM »
Old growth is the only thing you should clear if at all.   :nop:
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Appalachiansurvivor

• Administrator
  • Lookout
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »

That is awesome information Swede. Thank you.   :cool:  Those are keepers for sure.

Old growth is the only thing you should clear if at all.   :nop:

I fully understand what you are saying. I am not getting crazy... :naughty:

When I moved in last year I had lots of property but a real small yard and a complete wall of green, It gives you a closed in feeling. It is mostly Black berry vines, rhododendron, and dead hemlock trees from the Woolly Adelgid . I just need some more usable space. 

The yard was like this. 

“The mind of man can only teach what he has learned from others. It is how you use that knowledge that will decide who you are.”
― Micheal Rivers, Moonlight on the Nantahala

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »
Sure App. We call it wood margin where the yard leaves off and the woods begin. We have two closed in sides and two open so we dont get that closed in feeling and a breeze once in awhile in the summer.

Offline sunrise1965

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 12:40:26 PM »
Wild cherry is correct. Either choke cherry ,or black cherry would be my best guess. If the fruits end up hanfging in bunches from a stem a d ha e a top somewhat like an eggpla t on them, they are black cherry. If the berries have no green topper on them, they are most likely choke cherries. Either way, they make great jam, cough syrup, etc... a d are hugh in vitamin c. Dont eat the leaves or the pits. The bzrl jas great medicinal qualities as well. Definitely a keeper.