February 21, 2017, 05:21:43 PM

Author Topic: EBOLA.  (Read 8127 times)

Offline taken by the wind...

• Survivorman
Re: EBOLA.
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:45 AM »
Well snap,  21 day countdown starts over. A doctor in.New York tested positive. He caught it in West Africa and flew home without knowing he was infected. How are those airport screenings working out for us?

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2014, 06:49:48 PM »
and he has been all over the place they been telling us not to worry because he was not showing symtoms yet
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

• Survivorman
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
and he has been all over the place they been telling us not to worry because he was not showing symtoms yet

~ That's right...  He can't pass on the disease unless he's showing symptoms, and "Sneezing" is NOT a symptom of Ebola. Ebola does NOT present like a common cold. You would have to come into contact with his vomit or diarrhea or his blood to become infected. People do NOT need to worry about WHERE he's been... in public. AS long as he wasn't puking or pooping, or bleeding all over the area, nobody should get infected. I keep hearing news commentators mentioning "sneezing".... Ebola doesn't reproduce inside the nose like flu or the common cold. It is not genetically designed to put large amounts of itself OUT into the environment by sneezing, it presents through the digestive system. The people in New York have nothing to worry about. He isolated himself as soon as he became symptomatic.... even at that stage, the virus is usually scant in the blood, that's why they have to do TWO tests to confirm it. The first is usually negative. When they say Ebola isn't airborne, they are trying to say that the virus doesn't spread through sneezing. The virus attacks the blood, and other deep cells in the body. You can't "sneeze" it out before you know you have it. I don't think you can even sneeze it out AFTER you have it. Unless you're laying there dying of it and you're puking and vomiting, and it happens to be in your nasopharynx. If somebody was that sick near you.... believe me you would KNOW.

The reason they KNOW this stuff is because for YEARS, they've done experiments on monkeys (who are just as susceptible to Ebola as we are) they infect them with the virus, and then draw blood from them every day to determine the moment at which they can transmit the virus. No monkeys had virus in their blood until they became symptomatic. Ebola Peaks in the blood when a patient is extremely ill. And at the point of death.... the virus has lethally amplified in the body. That's why burial teams gown up to such extremes in Africa.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:14:07 PM by taken by the wind... »

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #103 on: October 24, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
ok I feel better coming from you I don't trust the lame stream media
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline canman

• Lookout
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2014, 06:22:54 PM »
Actually this case in New York will be a good test to see what the state of our precautions are. Our protocols keep getting updated almost daily. Some of that is because they were insufficient before and some of it is to cover there ass and be over cautious. As Taken says he should have not been contagious. But if someone with no Africa/patient connection ends up sick in N.Y. it's pretty much back to the drawing board. I'm told Ebola Zaire strain(not this one) was not airborne at first and mutated to be.  But that was in a protocol training that has been updated twice since and who knows if that is truly the case. Bottom line is anyone not engaged in some type of patient care or medical response should be O.K. if you just wash your hands regularly and certainly don't touch you face when out in the public until you have washed them. It's flu season and you should be doing that anyway.
"I have no ambition in this world but one,and that is to be a fireman..." Chief Edward F.Croker FDNY 1910
 Oath Keeper III%
"Don't be afraid to see what you see" Ronald Reagan 1988

• Survivorman
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09:00 AM »
~ there was an Ebola reston strain of the virus that broke out in an experimental primate house in the early 80s, (all the monkeys which had been imported from Africa)  It was so close to the Ebola Zaire strain that it was hard to tell them apart. The Ebola Reston virus was believed by the military (USAMRIID) to have gone airborne.....   the CDC disputed it. The CDC and the Military virology experts have had a long standing feud over the Ebola virus from the git-go. The CDC has always claimed that the virus can easily be dealt with, and is relatively difficult to catch, while the military has always treated the virus with kid gloves, and has always implicated it's ability to shift and drift and to mutate. AFter the CDC failed to contain the virus in Dallas, the Military (USAMRIID) has put together a team of experts to deploy whenever a patient is suspected to be infected, so the drama continues. The CDC and USAMRIID have historically been at odds over this virus ever since it's first appearance in the 1970's.  Truth is, Ebola has been around LONG before we have, and who knows what impact it has had on our species over time.
"

• Survivorman
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
~ well I haven't seen a single Ebola patient yet! I keep looking for them though.....   :P  The paramedics I transport with say that they get a few calls a week from whacko-s who THINK they have Ebola even though they've never been to Africa.  wacky115.gif

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
what do you think of these nurses complaining about being quarinteened

• Survivorman
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
what do you think of these nurses complaining about being quarinteened

~ I think that mandatory confined quarantine of healthcare workers who have cared for patients in Africa is ridiculous, and it's going to hurt the cause. It already has deterred a lot of doctors from volunteering to help. It's pretty much known that if somebody isn't having symptoms, they can't spread the virus in public. There might be a window of opportunity to spread the virus to a lover, but if they want to be stupid enough to take that chance that's their option. As long as the healthcare workers vow to stay away from public places (and they should be compensated by whatever outreach organization they are working for) and as long as they agree to report their temperature twice a day, and do what is prudent, to protect the public, they should be able to be at home, or go for a bike ride, or a walk as long as they are not having symptoms. Even when Ebola patients begin to have fever... the virus is so scant in their blood that the first test usually comes back negative. That's why they always say "the preliminary testing has come back negative." it is usually not confirmed until several days AFTER a fever begins, and the second test is done. Evidence supports that the virus does not put itself out into the environment until the patient is very ill and begins to exhibit the vomiting and the diarrhea that usually begins a few days after the fever, fatigue, severe headache, and body aches.

Thomas Eric Duncan was severely ill, and died in Texas. NOBODY he came into contact with became ill except for the two nurses who were taking care of him and handling his soiled clothing and bed sheets. (to me, this is very reassuring) At the point of death the virus is literally all over the environment around the patient. That is where the danger zone is. Now.... if he had started vomiting on a plane, that's a WHOLE different story. But to do so, he would've probably had a fever at the airport prior to boarding. From what I've read, the virus presents with a sudden onset of Severe headache, and body aches prior to fever sometimes, but usually the vomiting and diarrhea begin a few days later. I didn't know that. If the virus began with sudden onset of vomiting and diarrhea, I'd be all over HOME quarantine and not going anywhere.

So to punish healthcare workers by locking them in a room for 21 days is unthinkable in my mind. Even though that doctor in New York went to the bowling alley, and rode a subway, NOBODY caught Ebola from him. As soon as he came down with a fever, he DID isolate himself and he notified the proper people. I've always said that I'm not worried about the healthcare workers who are returning, because they're pretty good at recognizing symptoms and letting someone know.  They ALL have done this. If they insist on locking up healthcare workers from Africa, what happens to healthcare workers who have to take care of Ebola patients in the U.S.? The ones working in the Bio Containment units aren't being quarantined. NO healthcare worker in the U.S. is going to agree to take care of an Ebola patient if they know that they will be quarantined from the start of the patient's care until twenty one days after that patient either dies or gets better. That could be months away from their families! I'm going to have to train to wear that ebola gear, a lot of us are going to have to go to classes, so apparently our nation is preparing for more cases to come. If I find out that it's going to mean a mandatory quarantine away from my life.... I'm not doing it. After New York and New Jersey passed that mandatory quarantine law, there was a mass call out of Nurses at the hospital where that doctor was being treated. NOBODY wanted to take care of him.

If my hospital requires mandatory quarantine, they are admitting that they do not have faith in the protective gear that they give us. Therefore I have the right to refuse that assignment. And I will.

I'm not one bit worried about Doctors or nurses who treat Ebola patients. I know they all have sense enough to recognize symptoms and seek treatment. I've always said the REAL Danger is in the huge influx of citizens from those three countries in West Africa fleeing here for better healthcare. MANY people can't get treatment over there for OTHER illnesses. We've had African women coming over here to have babies in OUR hospital because they can't get care in Africa. Many doctors in West Africa refuse to do C-sections for fear of catching Ebola. Pregnant women are dying in Africa because they can't get care when regular complications occur.

THEREIN lies an open door for an outbreak.

A pregnant woman coming into our E.R. who is bleeding is immediately rushed upstairs to Labor and Delivery.... they do not stop to take a travel history, because an unborn life is at stake. It's treated as a life threatening trauma. A placental abruption presents the same way as a woman who is losing her baby due to Ebola infection. This is exactly how Thomas Eric Duncan got infected, it's how the doctor who was treated in Nebraska got infected, it's exactly how Patrick Sawyer (the American National from Liberia) ended up carrying the virus to Nigeria... his sister died of what he thought was a miscarriage, so he told the doctor in Nigeria that he hadn't been exposed to Ebola.

If a pregnant woman was rushed from the E.R. to Labor and Delivery, bleeding heavily, they would go into full trauma mode, and ask questions later. THESE are the scenarios that need to be talked about, and prepared for. But the only thing the CDC is focusing on is the Ebola patient who comes into the ER with classic Ebola symptoms.

I think most Emergency rooms by now are WELL equipped to deal with the Walk-in Ebola patient.

However, The trauma of a pregnant woman presenting as an abruption....  that's a disaster waiting to happen. It's a lot of blood, a lot of people and a lot of chaos, lots of dirty linen, gloves, lab work.... and nobody might know she's infected for a few days.

Luckily there ARE mandatory temp. checks and all sorts of laws for ALL of those citizens who enter our country. There are hundreds of people right now in our nation who are being monitored for symptoms after arriving here from Africa. I just hope that the system doesn't fail us.

Offline Sharen

• Scout
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2014, 05:55:50 AM »
I agree Taken.  :arigato:

• Survivorman
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2015, 11:50:26 AM »
Just an update, since the topic had fallen out of the  news in the U.S., the Ebola outbreak in Africa is still going on. One case was imported into the UK by a nurse volunteering in Africa.

The confirmed number of deaths is over 21,000, but the W.H.O. admits that this is a very conservative number and believed the true number of unreported deaths will be several times more than that. So many mass graves have been filed and covered up, and we will never know the exact number of lives claimed. Just this month a huge mass grave was found in an old diamond mine. Basically the virus is burning unchecked, and they estimate that maybe by June, it will begin to run out of victims.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »
wow yea we don't hear about it anymore

Offline canman

• Lookout
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2015, 07:08:56 AM »
One more case makes it here and the MSM will be back at 24 hour coverage. We actually had a patient with trigger points on arrival  but proved negative as the OOC travel was to northern Europe , just a bad case of flu. Looked like he got hit by a truck, the flu this year is bad, bad, bad...
"I have no ambition in this world but one,and that is to be a fireman..." Chief Edward F.Croker FDNY 1910
 Oath Keeper III%
"Don't be afraid to see what you see" Ronald Reagan 1988

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »
haven't heard anything about the flue

• Survivorman
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:54 AM »
As many people as we FEARED would make it into the U.S. with Ebola....  ( so far one and counting) we still have to do mandatory training for it. Go figure.  :thumbdown:

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2015, 11:12:44 AM »
Every government office I go into asks if Ive been over seas.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
you don't hear about this anymore

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »
you don't hear about this anymore
It's more important that we learn about Bruce/Kaitlyn Jenner.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2015, 06:37:46 PM »
omg I am sooooo tired of hearing about that  :yawn: