October 24, 2017, 02:26:51 AM

Author Topic: Bugging in vs bugging out  (Read 952 times)

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
Bugging in vs bugging out
« on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:50 PM »
I want to start this discussion because I don't think much thought is ever put in to  bugging in.for example if you bug in you already have shelter and you don't have to worry about trying to take all your supplies face it you'll most likely will be traveling by foot or bicycle. At home you may already have a garden in place Wich means fresh food to eat Wich will also slow down the consumption of your stocked food. Yah I do think a bug out plan needs to be in place but as a last option. Any thoughts ?

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 11:40:29 AM by hillbillytowing »
I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Uruz-Kenaz "Courage from Inner Strength"
    • Average Guy Reviews
Re: Bugging in vs bugging out
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:14:18 AM »
The situation and location will determine if bugging in or bugging out is the better option.

For short term stuff, bugging in is generally the better option.  Wait it out with all your supplies.

Some things like Chemical leaks or flooding or something that makes the area unsafe or unsustainable, or inhospitable will force a bug-out.

Area affect is also a factor, does bugging out mean just the general vicinity? (Truck wrecks and chemicals make it necessary to bug out) or is it something that covers a large geographical area or the whole country (Economic collapse, super volcano?).

The times it will be difficult to determine will most likely be during long term shtf (Economic collapse, depression etc).  When people are starving after the first few weeks and months, they will get desperate and then it's very dangerous to be in populated areas.    Situational awareness and keeping an eye on current events may give a better idea if it's time to bug out and beat the crowds so to speak (Hurricane for example).  If you get started quicker you can get out of the area before it's choked by all the last minute evacuees.
Doc

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman.
"Thought is action in rehearsal" Sigmund Freud
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com/

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Good 0oints there doc I did not think about chemical spills something I should take in to consideration after I move

I may act civilized, but that's just it, an act. Scratch the surface, you find a predator, harm those under my protection, it will be better to face your worst nightmare.

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 06:20:14 AM »
That would generally be location specific.  If you live near certain chemical refineries, or on major chemical transport routes from refineries.  (I seem to remember a couple of train wrecks that required evacuation due to chemical spills) and of course the big one like Union Carbide leak in Bhopal India.  Pretty rare though, but definitely a bug out situation.
Doc

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Any advice on. How to find out what kind of potential chemical dangers are local

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
    • Average Guy Reviews
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:41:01 PM »
Good question, Probably some google searches for major manufactures in the area would be a good start.   Take a couple of drives and see whats around.  Might be easy to find some and tough to find others.   I wouldn't spend too much time there though, that's a low percentage event, and having bug out gear ready to go and paying attention to the local news and emergency reports are probably good enough to get you out.
Doc

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 06:47:36 PM »
that is a good question
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline hillbillytowing

• Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 08:27:07 PM »
Well DOC thanks for all the advice