May 22, 2017, 12:22:12 PM

Author Topic: frist aid heat exhustion and stroke  (Read 541 times)

Offline survivorgirl

• Special Mod
  • Survivorman
  • out hiking
frist aid heat exhustion and stroke
« on: July 29, 2016, 06:53:56 PM »
First Aid for -

HEAT EXHAUSTION OR HEAT STROKE - Though usually confused as being the same, these are different conditions. But they are common conditions that routinely affect hikers or backpackers. Heat exhaustion can occur anywhere there is poor air circulation; even in the outdoors when it is hot and there is no wind. Simple heat exhaustion will occur due to a reduction of body fluids and salts. The symptoms are usually excessive fatigue, dizziness, disorientation, and a normal skin temperature but a damp and clammy feeling. To treat heat exhaustion, move to the victim (or yourself) to a cool, shady spot if possible and encourage drinking of cool water and rest. Your aim is to restore body fluids.

Heat stroke is a much more serious condition and occurs when the body's sweat glands have shut down. Some symptoms of heat stroke are mental confusion, unconsciousness, fever and dry, mottled skin. A heat stroke victim will die quickly, so assist immediately. The first thing you can do is move the victim to a cool place out of the sun and begin pouring cool water over their body. Fan the victim to provide air circulation on the skin. Your aim is to cool the body's core and lower that core temperature.

got this from tatonka ?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.-henry David Thoreau

Offline oldfatguy

• Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • ...an ever progressing polymathist.
Re: frist aid heat exhustion and stroke
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Great info,Kim. Thanks.
"If you truly love Nature, you will find beauty everywhere."  Vincent Van Gogh