October 24, 2017, 02:39:34 AM

Author Topic: Flint knapping  (Read 34737 times)

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
Re: Flint knapping
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2007, 07:22:33 PM »
Here's a question I asked you before Swede, but I'm still not quite clear on. From the looks of that piece, it has a convex side and a flat side. How do you go about thinning out the convex side to give it symetry?  I ask because it seems to be a recurring issue on about 50% of the pieces I work with.  I'm not certain how to 'flatten' an arrowhead.

Also, what are good ratio's for length, width and thickness?
If the piece is really covex it will be hard to get a "bi face" However by removing material from outside of the piece its possible to take most of the bend out of it.

Think chipping is actually removing material from the opposite side of the strike or flake. The same holds true for straightening the cutting edge .

3/1 ie a piece 3 inches wide and 1 inch thick is pretty much too thick. A really good piece will be 5/1 or 6/1 .
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty
If you dont care where you are your never lost
Im a survivor not a victim
Its not who I am but what I do that defines me.

Offline Machine

• Survivalist
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
This is a skill I really want to learn.  I just am not sure what rocks are knappable in my area. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »
This is a skill I really want to learn.  I just am not sure what rocks are knappable in my area. 
Go no line and look for websites that sell blank knapping material to start with or find some plate glass one quarter inch thick or thicker to practice on. Buy a book. Like I said before    The art of flint knapping by D. C Waldorf is a good one.
I hope the war on terror goes better then the war on drugs and the war on poverty

Offline Machine

• Survivalist
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2007, 07:38:04 PM »
Hey Swede.  I just remembered this.  A friend of mine gave me some.....we think it is furnace glass?  He found it near a river.  It looks just like obsidian.  I have a couple really nice chunks. 
Campfire Chat ADVICE: PLEASE refrain from extended discussion that pertains to topics posted in other forums. Discussion of those specific topics should be posted in their respective topic threads so all members can see, and for later reference. Replies breaking this rule will be copied or moved. Lets not turn this forum in a simple chatroom.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2007, 09:23:43 PM »
Yup they actually sell furnace glass for knapping. It might be hard to get a good piece to work with out of it but even if its a small piece it will work for practice. Ive made points out of that kind of glass. Its probably different colors run together isnt it?

Can you post a picture of it so I can see how to knock off a chip?

Offline Derek

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2007, 11:58:00 AM »
Hey swede, great posts. Its nice to have a guy that really knows what hes talking about, and has a lot of experience.

I wanted to ask you a question about material in my area. I've found pieces of chert on the surface, near railroad cuts and such that are not usable. I've tried digging where there are large deposits of limestone on the surface with no luck at all. There aren't very many rivers around here, and the ones that are around are so heavily used it'd be impossible to find any useful material. How can I find usable chert?

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2007, 02:33:53 PM »
Well you asked the right person derek.  Swede is one of the finest knappers I know. :salute:  Holly, on the other hand, is one of the finest nappers I've ever know too. happy097.gif
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
Dave it looks like you been hitting the bottle again.   :nono:

Derek is there a limestone quarry near you? Thats an excellent place to get flint. Go to the rip rap pile usually 8-10 inch rock or larger and just pick up some pieces. They wont even charge you for them or at least very little. Also there should be a stream near by the quarry. Look on the gravel bars.

I see your server is in Kansas but I dont know your area.

Offline Derek

• Tenderfoot
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2007, 11:16:38 AM »
I live in Nebraska near the Kansas border, I come here to use the library because the one in my town is the size of a shoe box ;). Yea theres a limestone quarry, but its been abandoned for years, and completely mined out. None of the equipment or buildings are there either. That is the only quarry I can think of near by, I think some one owns that land now.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2007, 02:45:52 PM »
Well thats still a source for flint if you can get in there or if theres a stream nearby.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »
I found this beautiful piece of flint in my gatherings. Im goint to try to make a piece out of it. It wont be easy but its worth a try.>

Heres a nice bench to try to knock off a flake. Ill try to strike inward with my large copper billet. If you can see the top arrow is pointing to a strange etching within the stone that looks like pencil marks. Strange.>

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2007, 10:28:01 PM »
Update> I broke it    :cry:

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2007, 10:31:33 PM »
Update> I broke it    :cry:

You didn't break the stone, Swede, the stone just wasn't worthy of YOU. :console:
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Offline Kentucky Bob

• Man Cave Administrator
  • Survivorman
  • Will work for ammo...
    • 103.9 The Bulldog
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2007, 07:40:20 AM »
Could the broken parts be used for a hide scraper?
"Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar." - Mark Twain    :cigar: 

"Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt..."

www.1039thebulldog.com

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »
Or for flint and steel?
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
They are perfect for flint and steel. There beautiful pieces. I broke it in half trying to break off a chip big enough to make a point.

Offline Dark Squirrel

• Survivalist
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2007, 08:40:27 PM »
I have to give this flint knapping thing a try one day.  I might need a new hobby to carry through till spring.
Hakkaa päälle
GO EVIL!!  WOOHOO!!
A stick is one of the most useful survival tools there is!
Time to get squirrelly!! :pray: :squirrel:
The beatings will continue until morale improves!!
I'm not a shining example, I'm a horrible warning!!
Ya never know who knows what needs knowing!

Offline Swede

• OWNER
  • Administrator
  • Survivorman
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2007, 07:34:50 PM »
I sent Machine some chert today. I sent smaller pieces for pressure flaking. Actually small points are easier to make. The material is easier to find and lets be frank (you can be frank) your not going to be killing deer or wild pigs. Rabbit and (sorry Dave) squirrels are way easier to get and small points are all you will need.

Machine practice pressure flaking on those pieces. I put one in for comparrison.

Offline Machine

• Survivalist
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2007, 06:17:05 AM »
Swede is the MAN!  Thanks my friend.  I can't wait.  I will post pics....good or bad.........

Offline antagonizer

• Master Tracker
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2007, 04:08:33 PM »
Alright. I've been waiting to post this for a few weeks now. Swede, being the soul he is sent me a few pieces a couple of weeks back. I wanted to wait till I had something worth showing before I posted and I hope I do.  I used the piece that you sent me Swede as a basis for comparrison and I hope I did it justice.  A couple broke mid way, but some made it to the finish. Now, I want you to throw me some criticism. Don't hold back. I don't learn that way.  The styles came from pieces that I found in the archeological record from online resources.

BTW, Swede, your thank you is in the mail my friend.

"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Faciam"  - Hannibal of Carthage

"Memento Te Esse Mortalum" - Epitaph on gravestone in Salem Mass.