January 16, 2017, 09:01:12 AM

Author Topic: The Survival Journal  (Read 4550 times)

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
The Survival Journal
« on: January 28, 2007, 02:01:09 PM »
How many of you journal your findings on wilderness survival? I have a TON of books on wilderness survival and the many uses of plants. If I wanted to leave for a month long expedition I would want to pick only one book to take with me for reference, but I have WAY to many to choose from and it would make the decision very hard. It would make me want to stuff my pack with 50 pounds of books!!!
What I am doing to solve this is im starting my "survival journal" It is a leather bound journal with plenty of pages to write down notes and draw diagrams. I am going to go through each of my books and re read them and copy down all the usefull information or information i might find hard to remember from each book. I will also write down my personal notes and my findings and discoveries on my outings. This way, I have all the info I might need in one place. If I go on an outing, I can just stuff my journal in my pack and get going.
If i want to test my skills, I can bring my journal along just incase.

Offline RovingArcher

• Master Scout
Re: The Survival Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:32 PM »
I keep a leather bound journal of my outings.  It's been interesting to read my entries in other journals from years gone bye.  It's also amazing how much stuff I have forgotten over the years, which is why I started keeping the journals to begin with.  I plan on handing them down to my granddaughters, but mans plans are often put aside for one reason or another, so we'll see. 
Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.

Offline LOST

• Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:27:33 PM »
Journals are a must and they remind us of who we were and who we need to become. 

Yes, Crazy Stick, I have utilized info from many sources and keep a notebook always in a ziplock bag.  Things that I may not remember as well (boy is that becoming more frequent) get put into the book.  I am not a very good artist so I will use a printout that has been downsized, and tape it into a page if need be.  I will also tape craft size ziplock bags of samples of pressed leaves or bark shavings, etc. to help i.d. different items for various things. Or, I will take photographs and tape them in too. 

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »
Im glad to see others do this, and just like you LOST, i will need to print out diagrams and pictures (mostly of plants though)

Offline Watcherofthewoods

• Survivorman
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
I am starting to keep a journal/journals to write down about animals and natural things i see.  I am likeing the idea of beeing a biologist or a zoologist so i need to take notes.
Complain less, breathe more.

It isn't until man is quiet that nature will speak.

In the silence and solitude of the night is when you truely find yourself.

Offline crazy stick

• Scout
    • The-Survivalist.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
survivor kid, you would be a great biologist or zoologist, and luckily your starting young instead of trying to learn it all when your older and trying to get into the field

• Survivorman
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 05:18:57 PM »
Yeah, i figure if i start to try hard now and i really care then ill make a good one.

Lead Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »
I am starting to keep a journal/journals to write down about animals and natural things i see.  I am likeing the idea of beeing a biologist or a zoologist so i need to take notes.

Great to hear, SK!  Whoever suggested you look into those fields must have been a really great guy.  ;)

• Survivorman
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 05:23:31 PM »

Great to hear, SK!  Whoever suggested you look into those fields must have been a really great guy.  ;)

Hardy har har and yet i agree with that.

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 06:10:10 PM »
This whole forum is a journal for some of us.  We just post what we do every day in the appropriate sections... :D
"Wherever you go, go with all of your heart." ~ Confucius

Lead Dog

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 08:50:07 PM »
Hardy har har and yet i agree with that.

:blush:

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 09:13:47 PM »
Me too, SK.  LD has helped me in so many ways too... :)

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 07:48:59 PM »
I just started making a journal in a composition notebook, writing down skills and tecniques for all my wilderness adventures. I am thinking of going to a Borders and getting a moleskin, should I?
See you on the trail!
The Sacred Order: Shelter, Water, Fire Food.

• Survivorman
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »
I want to get a leatherbound book, I could make one......

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 06:34:54 PM »
I have several journals, different materials.  My favorite ones are soft brushed leather.  They smell wonderful and feel great in my hands.  But if you buy something like that, be sure you keep it double-bagged in ziplock bags when you're outside.  You wouldn't want them to get wet.

The most practical thing for a journal is plain old notebook paper.  You can fold it up and stick it in your pocket, then write on it, then when you get home, you can put it into a nice three ring binder.  I keep a lot of my poetry and songs I've written in a three ring binder. 

Offline Bravo

• Administrator
  • Survivalist
  • Mountains are for the soul
    • http://www.wildsurvive.com
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »
Could you post a picture of the journal?
Never seen leather journals :D For real!
It is a great idea, never thought of it.
Do you have chapters? Like Fire, Shelter, Plants, Fishing etc?
"The past is history, the future a mystery and the present a gift - thats why its called the present" Kung Fu Panda

Offline Holly

• Survivorman
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »

Bravo, here are some of my journals...

This is my "girly" journal where I write all my hopes and dreams and things dear to my woman's heart.  And sometimes I write in it when my heart is breaking.  I can look back and see that things ALWAYS get better, even when I'm in despair and think that my heart will hurt forever...and it gives me tremendous hope to never give up.

This is my "spiritual" journal.  I write all the things God has revealed to me, all the lessons I've learned and am still learning, where I am in my spiritual walk and how far I've come, and all the amazing blessings God has given me.

This is my "travels" journal.  I try to keep track of all the trips I've been on, what I got to see, the people I met, and the best places to eat!

And here is my leather journal, which I'm using for my journey outdoors!  I wrote how I got started, all the things I'm learning, all the interesting people I meet while hiking or camping, and my observations about the outdoors.

In the trunk of my car, I have a three-ring notebook with plastic protector sheets holding pages from this website!  And eventually, I hope to make separate sections like our forum topics are separated.  Who knows?  Maybe one day we'll have our own "Wild Survive" outdoor survival handbook! :woot:

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 11:30:18 AM »
That'd be sweet!!

(If we're really serios about this, I would help compile it.....)
See you on the trail!

• Survivorman
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 11:31:27 AM »
I love your journals Holly! I'll have to find the one I saw online that I loved!

Offline survivordan

• Master Tracker
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 11:32:25 AM »
I like to use composition notebooks, like you use ofr school. Nice binding, lined paper....
See you on the trail!